ads slot

Latest Posts:

MEET MOHAMMED BOLAJI - TALKING BUSINESS, FOOTBALL AND THE IMPORTANCE OF FAMILY


Playing professional football is the dream of many youngsters growing up all over England. Opportunities are limited so this remained a dream for many, including myself.  I had an eye-opening conversation with the Managing Director and FA/FIFA Licensed Agent of Strive Sports Management also known as SSM. He let me in to his world of business, football, and the importance of family.

“I had a trial for West Ham, as you can see I didn't make the cut. I was heart broken and gave up. Looking back at it, I realised the opportunity was there, but I lacked the support. Not having right resources and not knowing the right people determines why talented players don’t excel within their careers - this is a common story for people from a working class background.”

“I decided to create this agency supporting individuals from less abled backgrounds.
Being talented is very important, so we help by creating connections with the right people. There are several individuals with the ability to become better and do great things, so we provide a service that harnesses potential and offers opportunities that aren’t given to young people from disadvantaged backgrounds.”

Mr. Fadlu Gaji

Mohammed does not work alone, and has a strong team behind SSM. He works side by side with his business partner, Mr. Fadlu Gaji, who contributes heavily to the structure and growth of the business. “He is not only my business partner but is like my brother so it makes it easier to work together."

“SSM wants to connect young players with the best people. Most of our current clients are talented sportsmen and women from local communities. Our ethos of supporting the less fortunate isn’t just focused in London, but internationally too. ”


“My culture was a big influence in my career development, which is positive and negative. It can make you feel not to pursue your dreams, as it will not be supported by your parents. However, you could be a rebel and prove to yourself that it CAN be done. For me, I had to go university and get an academic career. These days, parents have changed their mindset and it’s great seeing players and parents accept playing sports as a career.”

It’s a common story amongst British children with African parents - instilling the notion of becoming a doctor or lawyer and that being a sports professional isn’t a 'real' career prospect.


SSM have a development programme for individuals who need to develop their skills to take them to the next level. This programme nurtures and develops their skills by supporting them on their journey towards becoming a better sportsman or woman. My thoughts lied with the kids who don’t show potential but have that dream - isn't it an injustice to their futures if they were placed on that programme under the assumption that they’ll be developed to become a highly skilled professional?

“Our development programme is unique, it opens the minds of our clients to other avenues they could possibly explore within the sporting industry. As an example, my sister played for Chelsea Ladies, however, the opportunity for women's football is still limited in England and SSM supported her to develop the qualifications to become a sports rehabilitator in football and now works for a reputable sports company full time and also part-time for SSM.”

Finding Balance

“My biggest challenge has been juggling a full time job, a business, and a family - I’ve always had a full time job to provide for my family.” A pivotal part of Mohammed’s life is when he left retail to work in the education sector.“Managing a retail store meant that my hours were sporadic; working weekends, late and early shifts made it difficult to live a balanced life. I would go for days without seeing my son, as he’d be asleep when I got back home from work, and when I leave in early mornings for work.”


"Now that I'm working Monday to Friday, 9-5pm, I can spend time with my wife and son. I’m able to prioritise requirements for my business, family and social life. However, my experience as a store manager taught me time management, which is a crucial skill to have. I put my diary to good use - even writing in dinner dates with my wife. It’s good to be organised and stick to appointments, or communicating and rearranging when I can't make it."


At face value it feels that it’s unattainable to run a successful business, be present in family life and work full time. Mohammed realised from a young age that it will never be easy but believed it could’ve been done.

"I believe family is very important to achieve success in life and business. I started my business before I started my family, which reduced the amount of time I used for my business.

"I’m lucky to have my wife who has been very supportive of me. She’s been my champion, backbone, best friend and business advisor. When I had my son, he became my heart and motivation to work hard, achieve highly and create a legacy."

I read a inspirational quote on instagram it said 'Don’t work 8 hours for a company then go home and not work for yourself to better your life…' Mohammed is definitely living by those words and his story along with that quote has kept us motivated to bring you more stories!


If you would like more information about Strive Sports Management, visit their website - www.strivesportsmanagement.co.uk and follow them on twitter.

Subject - Mohammed Bolaji, founder of Strive Sports management (SSM)
Photographer & Writer - Kofi Dwaah

Follow us on: 

    
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment