ads slot

Latest Posts:

Dr. Grace Hammond - Helping others, being a woman and failure not being an option.

I sat down with Dr Grace Hammond at the Breakfast club in Shoreditch, London, on a sunny but cold Sunday. Before we got into the interview she spoke about her recent trip abroad - revelation of 2015, doctors know how to have fun!

"I didn’t know I wanted to be a doctor until sixth form. I was pretty good at everything, the only subject I didn’t like was math; I’m not a big fan of numbers. The only reason I narrowed down my subjects for A-levels is because I had to; not because I wanted to. I found medicine enticing so then decided to pursue studying it."

"Some people think that parents push their children down the medical route but it wasn’t like that for me. My parents were very open and free and let me choose my subjects."

"I remember coming home one day after school and telling my parents that I think I’m going to study medicine. My Dad was surprised and curious to find out what had led me to this decision. They gave me the freedom to choose what I like within reason. I remember telling my Dad I really liked P.E but that was made clear that was not an option." {Laughs}

With some Bob Marley playing in the background, our conversation started to flow even more. Thank you, Uncle Bob.

"It took me 7 years, 2 degrees - Nutrition BSc(hons) and MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery) and a lot of hard work to get where I am today. It was hard but once you set your mind to something I guess you just go through it. I remember had to retake an exam in my first year, which was one of the hardest years of my education. Even though you pay for your own tuition fees, the government pays large amounts towards your training so you have to show you really have what it takes for them to continue investing money in you."

"While all of my friends were out partying, I spent that summer studying. I was cramming my brain with medical books so I could pass my exams. It was really difficult but I had no choice; by that time I was set on becoming a doctor - failure was not an option. There were many life learned lessons from that situation. I figured out that I studied better in the morning, so I went to library early each morning and I created a study plan, which helped me to focus and use my time effectively which benefited me for my remaining years of study."

"I found out I was dyslexic at the age of 24. I was told that I compensate really well for it - I found out that I read things twice pretty fast which I never realised I was doing until I went for my assessment." I was amazed by this, she went through so many years of education and it was not picked up until she was 24 - it just proves if you believe strongly in something and work hard, you’ll be able to achieve what you set out to do

"I genuinely like to help people and before I could even study medicine, I had to take out voluntary work to show I had genuine interest in helping others. Being a doctor can be very challenging but it is made easier if you enjoy helping people. There's a lot of responsibility that comes with the job, especially knowing it’s your responsibility to make people feel better so they can live a more fulfilling life, which is rewarding in itself but also adds pressure."


Talking to Dr. Grace Hammond had me thinking - with everything you do there are sacrifices; some are bigger than others. I don’t know about you but I can take time for granted at times, when I should be utilising it better. Being a doctor requires her to work nights which means missing out on some important gatherings and occasions she would love to go to but is unable to (like her good friend‘s baby shower). This made me appreciate the efforts of others who sacrifice their time to help others they don’t personally know.

"After attaining a medical degree you have to do two years of foundation training - so you have to work in different fields, which can be a very good experience as you get to figure out what field you would like to work in. I’m working towards to becoming a GP, being a woman I would love to have children and still continue to progress in my career as a doctor. Being a GP you work less nights and weekends, which is perfect for a woman like me who is looking to raise a family and be a prominent figure in my future children’s lives."






She talked about some of the scenarios she has had to face; I will save you from all the details. Interviewing a doctor after eating a meal is not a good idea, especially if you don’t like to hear about open wounds, loads of blood, intestines hanging out and putting tubes down patients’ throats. 

"One thing I learned about being a doctor is that this job can be viewed as an extension of who you are as a person. Let's take traffic wardens as an example - they are not really liked because of what the job entails; not because of who they are as human beings. However, it is difficult for doctors and nurses too, because if a patient doesn’t like you then it is pretty much down to you as a person – I’ve done a lot of growing and character building since I started being a doctor. I really enjoy what I do, helping people has always been an innate behaviour of mine, but I think it’s good to have a social life outside my line of work. In my opinion I don’t think you should let your career consume you, so going out with friends, spending time with family and having some alone time is a good way to relax and get away from being a doctor."


A singer and a guitarist were gearing up for their live performance, which was a perfect way to end our conversation, chill out, and vibes to some live music. 

Subject - Dr. Grace Hammond
Photographer & Writer - Kofi Dwaah

Follow us: 

    

Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

1 comments: