ads slot

Latest Posts:

Victor Atiemo talks - Security, starting a business, working with Jamie Oliver & philosophy

I sat down with Victor Atiemo one of the three founders of Secure On Site Private Security Services Ltd and had a stimulating chat about business, life & philosophy.  

‘What are you, if you’re not what changes?’ Victor explains to me that we as human beings are forever changing. The way we interact with each other is not identical, the way you interact with your partner, siblings, parents and co-workers completely differ. Each person will have a different perception of who you are as a person – so who are you really?  

I thought I came to do the interviewing {laughs}, what brought about this way of thinking for you?  

I went on a 10-week practical philosophy course out of curiosity and also to improve my management skills. I have to manage people daily; so from time to time I critique myself and ask myself how can I be better. This course helped me to understand myself and other people more – if there are issues within my team at work, I can’t brush it underneath the carpet. I have to face it and overcome it; what is it about me? What is it about them? that is causing this disagreement, then use reasoning to overcome the issue.      

People are somewhat intricate and most issues between people in the working environment starts off small but escalades over period of time, just because people do not express themselves respectfully and clearly. People will rather harbour their grievances about another person, which will manifest and affect how they deal with that person, which has a detrimental effect on their work and happiness in that environment.    

Do you attend these courses for your business? 

No, I’m a curious person they help me to become well rounded. But it also has an influence on how I run my business. I’m also attending an economics course because I want to understand how business, transfer of wealth and how production in the world works – so much is going on around us it is better to be aware and in the know then letting opportunities pass us by.  

What is your business? 

Well I founded the business along with 2 of my partners, a private Security Company offering professional security services such as close protection, stewarding, hotel security, CCTV, dog handlers plus many more. We have provided a service for Jamie Oliver’s annual staff party, Caffe Concerto at the Emirates stadium during the unveiling of their new Puma kit. We are able to provide pretty much any security services nationwide.

When did you start your business? 

Just under 2 years ago - we’ve been running the business from our office from August 2013 but we were working from home a year before then. I feel when we moved into our office, that’s when it felt we were operating the business befittingly.  

I’ve been doing this full time, running a business is not like doing a 9 – 5 job, when it's 5pm you don’t immediately clock out. If there is a job that needs to be done, it has to be done; no matter what time it is as this may affect the flow of the business. For example, if I’m lazy with the finances my employees will not be paid on time. This could potentially affect their morale and how they work, which could then affect my clients' businesses, so it is in the best interest of my business for me to do my best at all times. Along with other duties that I share with my partners, there are times you have to put in extra work, which can take a lot of energy but these sacrifices are all part of building a successful empire.  

Are there any other sacrifices you've had to make? 

Yes, I put my savings into this business. I wanted to do it on my own and say ‘I built this; I betted on myself and it's paid off.’ However it would have made more financial sense if I got a loan and kept my savings. I could have used my own money for my own personal purposes, and built the business using the loan, which is what a lot of businesses do. I do not regret my decision, I just see it as a situation to learn from. 

I think you only really going to learn from your own experiences, I think it is the best way to learn. You got to do it to learn from it for example, if I was to tell you how to start a business it’s going to be from my experience however if you were to go through the process the chances are you may have a different experience.  


I saw an interview you had on TV in regards to regeneration of Tottenham after the London riots, what was that experience like for you?   

It was great… Actually, I was really cool up until the point the producer told me how many people would be watching this live. I’ve always been a confident person even as a child but on this occasion I was nervous – maybe because I didn’t know what questions they were going to ask me but after I answered the first question, my nerves settled and I went through the motions.    

Why did you decide to start a security company? 

I have worked for security companies in the past and gained knowledge on how they operate. I believed I could set up a better business but offer an improved service. From there on, it was all about turning an idea to reality and creating a business that offers the best of our abilities to our clients. 

I looked at our competitors and what they offer, I felt that a lot of businesses don’t offer their best, why? maybe because it saves money and time, there’s less commitment or it could just be down to complacency.  

I’m always willing to offer the best; it's one of my principles, which I have incorporated into the business. In life I think people should offer the best of themselves, if not they’re selling themselves short.  

I got a call from one of my employees last Christmas, thanking us for what we have done for him so far. It’s a good feeling seeing your employees happy but it also highlights the responsibility I have to my employees. If I give it my all, they will do likewise. They could always go on and work for someone else but until that day I don’t take my responsibilities light heartedly.   


At the beginning you asked me who are you? Now it is my turn to ask you…Who are you?   

I am, the I am. 

Can you elaborate?  

What is it about you that has not changed? Your consciousness. Even your thoughts are not really who you are at times. Sometimes your thoughts play a reality that’s alternate to what is actually going on. I think we put filters on the world, which affects how we actually see reality. I think now I’m closer or more in tuned to my consciousness and being aware to what’s going on around me.  

I understand now when people say they have slept through life – the small things in life we do without thinking, waking up in the morning, brushing our teeth, eating breakfast, commuting on a train. These are done with little or no thought but then you wake up at key moments, like the moment you realize you've missed your stop and have to get off the train, where was the middle? Who did you sit next too? Did you notice the couple madly in love? This is what I mean about being aware and being conscious. I am, the I am basically means I’m conscious and aware.     

To find out more about Secure on Sites Services Ltd, visit www.secureonsitesecurity.co.uk

Subject - Victor Atiemo, founder of Secure on Site Security Services Ltd
Photographer & Writer - Kofi Dwaah

Follow us: 

    
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment